nsip logo
Inclusion: The active engagement of people with disabilities as service members in all levels of national and community service

Powered by Google


Table of Contents Download pdf version

General Disability Resources

The Access Board: Sets guidelines for accessibility standards. Provides technical assistance on accessibility requirements for transportation, architecture, and communication. 800-872-2253 (voice), 800-993-2822 (TTY) website: www.access-board.org

ADA Information Line: The Department of Justice's toll-free hotline to obtain answers to general and technical questions about the ADA and to order technical assistance materials. 800-514-0301 (voice, 800-514-0383 (TTY), website: www.ada.gov/infoline.htm

Independent Living Centers (ILCs): Community based, consumer controlled, nonprofit centers governed by a board of directors of whom at least 51% are people with disabilities. Core services provided include: peer counseling, information and referral, independent living skills training, and advocacy.

Disability and Business Technical Assistance Centers (DBTACs): DBTACs are federally- funded technical assistance and training centers that provide all members of the public assistance with the implementation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. 800 949-4232 (voice/TDD), website: www.adata.org

Disability.gov: Disability.gov is an award-winning federal Web site that contains disability-related resources on programs, services, laws and regulations to help people with disabilities lead full, independent lives. This site supports President Barack Obama's administration goals outlined in the New Freedom Initiative to use information technology to deliver government services anytime, anywhere, to reduce barriers to the employment of people with disabilities. www.Disability.gov

Job Accommodation Network (JAN): JAN is a federally funded technical assistance center for accommodations. They offer consultation and recommendations and extensive information relating to reasonable accommodations. 800-526-7234 (voice/TDD), website: www.jan.wvu.edu

National Information Center for Children and Youth with Disabilities: This site is an excellent "one stop" for contact information for various clearinghouses and disability organizations. It includes over 100 organizations, with addresses, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, and websites, and was developed under a grant from the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Special Education Programs. The listed organization can provide a wealth of information about specific disabilities. 800- 695-0285 (voice/TTY),website: www.nichcy.org

American Self-Help Clearinghouse: A national clearinghouse for self-help organizations and other resources for individuals with disabilities web site: www.selfhelpgroups.org.

Social Security Administration (SSA): This is the federal agency responsible for administering income maintenance programs for persons with disabilities. A list of state vocational rehabilitation offices can be found on the Social Security Administration's website. 800-772-1213 (voice) 800-325-0778 (TTY) website: www.ssa.gov

U.S.Department of Justice (DOJ): This is the federal agency charged with enforcing parts of the Americans with Disabilities Act. They provide a wealth of information on their website: http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada

National and Community Service Disability Resources

Additional resources are also available through National Service Resource Center's website http://www.nationalserviceresources.org/:

Access: Opening the Doors Conference:Questions and Answers Responses to questions concerning legal responsibilities, reasonable accommodations, program accessibility, disability funds,member compensation, and recruitment as they relate to including people with disabilities in national service.website: http://www.nationalserviceresources.org/files/legacy/filemanager/download/682/opendoor.pdf

The Institute for Community Inclusion (ICI): The Corporation for National Service funded National Training and Technical Assistance provider.888-491-0326 (voice/TTY), 617-287-4352 (fax) email: email: nsip@umb.edu

The Corporation for National Service's Equal Opportunity Office: 202-606-5000, ext. 312 (voice), 202-565-2799 (TDD),website: www.cns.gov, email: eo@cns.gov

The following guidelines for Corporation Grantees are available as downloadable PDF files at: http://www.americorps.gov/for_organizations/funding/eo_requirements.asp

Legal Documents and Resources

U.S.Department of Justice Guide to Disability Rights Laws website: www.ada.gov/cguide.htm

ADA Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities (ADAAG) website: http://www.access-board.gov/adaag/html/adaag.htm

National and Community Service Legislation and Regulations:
National Service legislation and regulations can be found through the Corporation for National and Community Service website: http://www.nationalservice.gov/about/role_impact/history.asp

To learn more about national service programs, the National Service Fellowship program and the Corporation for National and Community Service visit the website: www.nationalservice.org

Recruitment Resources

Employment Assistance Referral Network (EARN):
This is a free service of the U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Disability Employment Policy which provides you with a direct connection to your local community disability service providers. When you are ready to recruit qualified candidates with disabilities for participant positions, contact EARN and its staff will locate providers in your local community who have contact with appropriate candidates. Once providers are identified, EARN will call you with the contact information for the provider so you can connect with the applicants. 866-EarnNow (866-327-6669) (voice), website: www.earnworks.com

Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP):
This is a free resource of the U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Disability Employment Policy for locating college students and recent graduates who have severe disabilities. Beginning the Wednesday of the third week in March each year, you may request an easy-to-use database of pre-screened college students with disabilities to fill summer or permanent hiring needs. These candidates, from more than 160 colleges and universities, represent a variety of academic majors and range from college freshmen to students in graduate school or law school. 202-693-7880 (voice), 202-693-7888 (fax), website: www.wrpjobs.com

State Governors' Committees on Employment of People with Disabilities:
The governors' committees provide employment information and referral services within their respective states. Governors' Committees are funded by the U.S. Department of Labor and are listed under state government agencies in your telephone directory. website: http://www.dol.gov/odep/state/directry.htm

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs:
This federal department supports a nationwide employment training program for veterans with service-connected disabilities who qualify for vocational rehabilitation. Regional or local offices are listed under federal government agencies in your telephone directory. (Do not contact the medical centers for this purpose). 800-827-1000 (voice) website:http://www.va.gov/

State and Local Vocational Rehabilitation Agencies:
These agencies, funded through U.S. Department of Education, Rehabilitation Services Administration, help individuals with physical or mental disabilities to obtain employment. They are listed under state government agencies in your telephone directory.

The Arc (formerly the Association for Retarded Citizens of the U.S.)
1010 Wayne Avenue, Suite 650
Silver Spring, MD 20910
E-mail: Info@thearc.org
website: www.thearc.org

Brain Injury Association of America
1608 Spring Hill Road, Suite 110
Vienna, VA 22182
Phone: 703-761-0750
Fax: 703-761-0755
Publications available in Spanish
E-mail: FamilyHelpline@biausa.org
website: www.biausa.org

National Brain Injury Information Center.
Brain Injury Information Only Phone: 1-800-444-6443

Easter Seals-National Office
230 West Monroe St Suite 1800
Chicago, IL 60606
800- 221-6827; 312-726-6200 (voice)
(312) 726-4258 (TTY)
E-Mail: info@easter-seals.org
website: www.easter-seals.org

Epilepsy Foundation
4351 Garden City Drive, 5th Floor
Landover, MD 20785-4941
800-332-1000, 301-459-3700
Publications available in Spanish
Spanish speaker on staff
E-mail: postmaster@efa.org
website: www.efa.org

Independent Living Research Utilization Project
The Institute for Rehabilitation and Research
2323 South Sheppard, Suite 1000
Houston,TX 77019
713-520-0232 (voice), 713-520-5136 (TTY)
E-mail: ilru@ilru.org
website: www.ilru.org

Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA)
3300 East Sunrise Drive
Tucson, AZ 85718
Publications available in Spanish- Spanish speaker on staff.
E-mail: mda@mdausa.org
website: www.mdausa.org

National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI)
Colonial Place Three, 2107 Wilson Blvd, Suite 300
Arlington,VA 22201-3042
800-950-6264, 703-524-7600 (voice)
703-516-7991 (TTY)
Publications available in Spanish. Spanish speaker on staff
E-mail: helpline@nami.org
website: www.nami.org

National Association of the Deaf
814 Thayer Avenue, Suite 250
Silver Spring, MD 20910
301- 587-1788 (voice), 301-587-1789 (TTY)
E-mail: nadinfo@nad.org
website: www.nad.org

National Disability Rights Network
900 Second Street N.E., Suite 211
900 Second Street, NE, Suite 211
Washington, DC 20002
Phone: 202-408-9514
Fax: 202-408-9520
TTY: 202-408-9521
General inquiries: info@ndrn.org
website: www.ndrn.org

National Council on Independent Living
1710 Rhode Island Avenue NW 5th Floor
Washington D.C. 20036
(phone) 202-207-0334 (TTY) 202-207-0340
E-mail: ncil@ncil.org
website: www.ncil.org

National Federation for the Blind
1800 Johnson Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
E-mail: nfb@nfb.org
website: www.nfb.org

National Mental Health Association
2000 N. Beauregard St 6th floor
Alexandria, VA 22311
800- 969-6642, 703-684-7722 (voice)
800-433-5959 (TTY)
Publications available in Spanish
E-mail: nmhainfo@aol.com
website: www.nmha.org

National Multiple Sclerosis Society
733 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10017
800-344-4867, 212-986-3240
E-mail: info@nmss.org
website: www.nmss.org

National Parent Network on Disabilities
1130 17th Street N.W, Suite 400
Washington, DC 20036
202-463-2299 (V/TTY)
E-Mail: npnd@cs.com
website: www.npnd.org

National Spinal Cord Injury Association
1 Church Street # 600
Rockville, MD 20850
800-962-9629, 301-588-6959
E-mail: nscia2@aol.com
website: www.spinalcord.org

Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf
333 Commerce Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone # 703-838-0030
TTY 703-838-0459
E-mail: info@rid.org
website: www.rid.org

Hearing Loss Association of America
7910 Woodmont Ave, Suite 1200
Bethesda,Maryland, 20814
301-657-2248 (voice)
301-657-2249 (TTY)
301-913-9413 (fax)
website: http://www.hearingloss.org/index.asp

Spina Bifida Association of America
4590 MacArthur Boulevard, N.W., Suite 250
800- 621-3141, 202-944-3285
Publications available in Spanish
E-mail: sbaa@sbaa.org
website: www.sbaa.org

Technical Assistance Alliance for Parent Centers (the Alliance)
PACER Center
8161 Normandale Blvd.
Minneapolis, MN 55437-1044
888-248-0822, 952-838-9000 (voice)
952-838-0190 (TTY)
Spanish speaker on staff
E-mail: alliance@taalliance.org
website: www.taalliance.org

1660 L Street, N.W., Suite 700
Washington, DC 20036
202-776-0406, 800- 872-5827 (voice)
(202) 973-7197 (TTY)
Publications available in Spanish
E-Mail: ucpnatl@ucp.org
website: www.ucp.org

Some of the above resources were obtained through the National Information Center for Children and Youth with Disabilities (NICHY) website.

Next page

Website and contents © Institute for Community Inclusion. All rights reserved. Call us at (617) 287-4300 TTY: (617) 287-4350

©The National Service Inclusion Project (NSIP) is a training and technical assistance provider on disability inclusion. NSIP partners with the Association on University Centers on Disability, National Council on Independent Living, Association on Higher Education and Disability and National Down Syndrome Congress to build connections between disability organizations and all CNCS grantees, including national directs, to increase the participation of people with disabilities in national service.